Melt-In-Your-Mouth Cookies (100% gluten-free)

One of my close friends was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. So, in preparation for our picnic at Saxapahaw this weekend, I made these: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/02/two-fops-and-a-fix-it/.

They are like eating air, really, really tasty air... which could eventually pose a problem for my waist-line. In reality though, these cookies really aren't all that bad for you! In fact, compared to a mall vendor's Chocolate Chip Cookie, well, there really isn't any comparison. They are light and just the right amount of sweet. (and totally gluten-free and full of protein).

Since I've made these cookies before (and, amazingly enough, followed the recipe to a tee), I decided it was time to experiment.

A friend at work (who happens to claim to not really like cookies usually) had fallen in love with the salted caramel cookies I brought in awhile ago and ever since has been asking when I would be bringing more in to share. So, I decided to compromise...

Google, my sometimes best friend, showed me that there are some recipes out there that added caramel to meringue cookies. So, I decided they could be mixed. Next step, easy caramel sauce. I chose this one: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014/01/easy-caramel-sauce/ and substituted almond milk and a dash of vanilla coconut milk creamer for the half and half. I was going to also substitute at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the butter with coconut oil, but I decided, "What the heck, let's make this caramel right". I also added in some extra salt to help create the salted caramel taste.

Once the caramel sauce was complete, I made the cookies and dropped spoonfuls of the dough onto the cookie sheets. I then decided the best way to add the caramel would be to simply drizzle it over the top of the cookies (I did leave some plain just in case the caramel sauce wasn't that good AND because the cookies are simply heavenly on their own). Finally, I sprinkled salt lightly over the top of all the cookies with caramel on them.

I chose to bake the cookies the long way (which actually took a bit longer that anticipated) and they turned out lovely!

While turning egg whites into meringues can be a bit of a tricky process, with a bit of time and patience, your meringues will come out ready to melt in your mouth!

ENJOY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baked Alfredo Mac 'n Cheese Tuna Zucchini Fettuccine Noodles... Ummm, what?

Getting creative... good and bad

Strawberry Mint Inspirations