Granola Experiments

Yesterday, my toddler and I "cooked". We made granola bars. I've made these from the recipe before as regular granola (not bars) and they were a big hit with my toddler, so I thought I would try bar form and work to make them a little healthier. They did not turn out quite as thick as the ones my sister in law made and I may have overcooked them slightly, but overall they are pretty good and the granola crumbles leftover are also tasty! Next time I will just watch to make sure they are not overcooked and I will make them thicker, for sure. I also think I will use Old Fashioned Oats vs. the quick oats I had on hand.

This recipe came from my sister-in-law, but I have no idea where she got it!

Ingredients:

5 cups oats (you can use any combination of steel cut, regular, and quick oats)
10 oz raw almonds (you can grind these as fine as you like - also, I only had a combo of almonds and pecans which turned out ok too!)
4oz coconut oil (last time I made the granola form and didn't have coconut oil - grapeseed oil worked out just fine)
5oz brown sugar (I used coconut sugar)
1/2 cup maple syrup (I'm thinking you could probably use brown rice syrup or agave instead if you preferred)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 tsp vanilla

2 rimmed cookie sheets lined with parchment paper

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Melt coconut oil in microwave (or however you see fit)
3. Mix coconut oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt and vanilla.
4. Pour mixture over oats and almonds. Mix well.
5. Spread mixture evenly over the two cookie sheets. Be sure it isn't too thick or else the edges will be done but the middle will be chewy. (For granola bars, use the back of an oiled spoon to push the mixture down, making it more solid).
6. Bake for 33-38 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through until dark golden brown.

Makes about 44 oz. 110cal/oz (original recipe)

Other adjustments I would like to eventually try are using part butter/margarine, part coconut oil (not as healthy, I know, but, holy cow, it could be so yummy!), using less sugar, adding raisins, drizzling chocolate on top (I did sprinkle one pan with chocolate chips but it wasn't my favorite - it was also the pan that got a little burnt on the bottom...oops).

Hope you enjoy!

~K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baked Alfredo Mac 'n Cheese Tuna Zucchini Fettuccine Noodles... Ummm, what?

Getting creative... good and bad

Strawberry Mint Inspirations